Frequently Asked Questions

I found a dog/cat. What should I do now?

East CAN recommends giving owners at least 2 weeks to come forward and claim their pet.  Please ask for proof of ownership (pictures, vet records, knowledge of unique markings/traits, etc) before returning the animal.  Encourage the owners to put a tag on their pet’s collar (or have one made for them) or even get their pet microchipped.
If no owners come forward, it may be time to re-home the pet.  Send a picture and information about the animal (where/when found, age, size, gender, energy level, tolerances [children, dogs, cats, car-rides, baths, etc]) to East CAN at  Please also include a list of efforts you have made to find the owner. Based on the information you provide to us, we will determine what further assistance we may be able to provide.
Back to Top ^^

I lost my pet! What should I do?

Back to Top ^^

I want to adopt a dog/cat.

Visit our Adoptables page to get more information about the adoptable animals we currently have available. If you are interested in one of the animals you see, email us with the name of the animal in question, and be sure to include information on the kind of home you can provide the animal. Also include a completed Adoption Application (we have a Word doc and a PDF available.)  If you don’t see an animal that fits your lifestyle listed on our website currently, send us an email containing details of what exactly you are looking for. We can check to see if there is a match in our network, or notify you when we come across an available pet that fits your requirements.

Back to Top ^^

What is East CAN’s adoption process?

Complete the Adoption Application in full and return it via email to  Once we receive your paperwork, we will email you to set up a meet and greet.  We will also check your references and if we all decide to proceed to the next steps we will do a home visit and then a 2 week trial visit. We do not sign contracts or require fee payment until the 2 week trial is complete and all parties have decided it is a good fit and the adoption should be finalized.

Back to Top ^^

Is there an adoption fee? How much?

Yes.  East C.A.N. requests that adopters pay a fee to offset the costs of vetting and caring for our animals until forever homes are found.  The adoption fee is  $125.00.

Back to Top ^^

I want to become a foster volunteer. How do I get started?

Fill out our Foster Application and email it to  Someone will schedule an interview and home visit with you once we receive your application.

Back to Top ^^

I need to re-home my pet. What should I do?

First of all, could you keep your pet if you obtained some assistance?  If so:

If you are still convinced you need to re-home your pet:

  • Send pictures and a nice bio (short but descriptive including personality, vetting status, age, weight, dog/cat/human/children sociability) to
  • We will put a courtesy post on our websites to assist with re-homing as long as you agree to continue housing them and to remain as your pet’s advocate in finding them a new home rather than going through the trauma of being left at animal control.

  • Contact other rescues – both local and long distance – and check for breed-specific rescues if appropriate
  • Contact the Nashville Humane Association about their in-take program
  • Use social media, etc. to let all your friends, family, and acquaintances know
  • IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE ADOPTING YOUR PET TO A STRANGER, you should request a re-homing fee, perform a home visit, and check his/her personal references.  PLEASE do not give your pet away for free to someone you do not personally know and trust. Thoroughly investigate any person and/or rescue that you are considering.  Please view this news story for an example of what may happen to your pet in the hands of a fraudulent “rescue.”
Back to Top ^^

Besides money, what other donations do you accept?

We are always accepting donations.  Items we are in need of at this time include:

  • grain free dog food
  • large wire collapsible crates
  • medium and large collars and leashes
  • chew toys
  • unexpired heartworm and flea medications
  • dog treats and biscuits
  • petco, petsmart, amazon gift cards
Back to Top ^^

Where can I go to get my pet spayed/neutered?


Back to Top ^^

Do you know of any foster programs for Military families?

Back to Top ^^

What can I do about the feral cats in my neighborhood?

  • Call the Pet Community Center to find out information about their Trap/Neuter/Release program.
  • Call The Cat Shoppe in Berry Hill and reserve some humane cat traps. They will loan them for a $50 cash deposit.
  • Set them with food in the back of the trap and cover the traps so they seem more cave like.
  • Once you have one in a trap – call Value Vet for appointment to spay/neuter and tested for feline aids/leukemia.
  • Keep the cats in the traps— feed and water them in there until their vet appointment.
  • If this appointment is more than 3 days away you should let the cat go and try again another time or try another vet. The cat will obviously be stressed in the trap and to contain them at length is unfair.
  • Take the cat to the vet in the crate.
  • Have the vet do a feline aids/leukemia/heart worm test prior to surgery.
    • If the test is positive:   it is advised to have the vet euthanize the cat, otherwise it will die a long, slow and painful death.  The fee for this would be $37.50 test, $87.50 for euthanize.
    • If the test is negative:   vaccinate against feline aids and leukemia.
      Fees for test (37.50), vaccine (30), and spay/neuter (40.00).
  • Financial Assistance: Hopefully your neighbors will contribute as well to get their street cats spayed/neutered.  If you are not able to come up with enough to cover the costs for each cat, East C.A.N. will contribute based on our current level of available funds.
  • Fix for Life: If you are able to make an appointment and take the cat to Fix For Life in Lebanon for their Snip & Tip program, East C.A.N. will pay 100%. (IT’S FREE). Note: FFL does not perform feline leukemia/aids tests.
  • Pet Community Center: Contact Anna Henley regarding the Feline Fix program, a “Trap-Neuter-Return-Manage initiative for community cats.” or
Back to Top ^^

Do you know of any vets that will do end-of-life care/PTS at my home?

This is not an exhaustive list.  If you have a recommendation for us, please let us know.

Back to Top ^^

What are some options for pet owners struggling in this economy?

The following is a list of organizations that provide financial assistance to pet owners in need.  Please keep in mind that this is certainly not an exhaustive list and each organization is independent and has their own set of rules and guidelines.  Therefore you will have to investigate each one individually to determine if you qualify for assistance:

Back to Top ^^

What can I do if I’m having trouble buying food for my pet?

  • Contact East C.A.N.
  • The Nashville Humane Association has a Food Bank that operates from 1-4pm every Sunday and Wednesday.  To be eligible, bring with you 1) proof your animal has been spayed or neutered; 2) a valid TN License or TN ID (to prove you live in Davidson County;) and 3) evidence that you are on Govt. Assistance, unemployed, or low income.  Bring whatever proof you can of any of these things. It’s not their objective to turn people away.  For more information, call (615)352-1010.
  • Contact the Middle Tennessee Pet Food Bank
Back to Top ^^

I’m concerned about the welfare of my neighbor’s pet(s). What can I do?

Back to Top ^^

Do you know of any pet-friendly apartment buildings?

Check out MyApartmentMap, a housing search web site with pet friendly listings all over the USA.  This is not an exhaustive list.  If you live in another pet-friendly complex, let us know.

Back to Top ^^